Sunday, February 16
Marching facts and figures Dorota Nosowicz,The Observer, February 16, 2003
Yesterday's LONDON march drew more than a million people, compared with the 1968 Grosvenor Square demonstration against the Vietnam War, above, attended by 50,000-plus.
· More than 4,500 police were on duty yesterday.
· Eleven political parties, including Greenpeace, the Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru and the SNP, supported the march.
· Brian Haw, a carpenter from Redditch, Worcs, has been camping outside the Commons since June 2001, in a one-man peace protest. Only five MPs have crossed the road to see him.
· More than 1,000 coaches, twice the number laid on for last October's Countryside March, brought protesters yesterday.
· Famous people who marched: Jesse Jackson, Bianca Jagger, Harold Pinter, Mo Mowlam, Kate Moss.